Sunday, February 10, 2013

Early birds

The day that I have been waiting for has finally arrived! It's been one of my life long dreams to ride on a plane that will take me wherever I want. I can only imagine how euphoric the Wright Brothers were during the first successful flights of the Wright Flyer.

1903 Wright Flyer

The 1903 Wright Flyer made four flights at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, on December 17, 1903, the best covering 852 feet in 59 seconds. It was the first heavier-than-air, powered aircraft to make a sustained, controlled flight with a pilot aboard.

The Wrights used their proven canard biplane configuration which was rooted in their initial 1899 kite design. Key to the Flyer's success was its three-axis control system, which featured wing-warping for lateral balance, a moveable rudder, and an elevator for pitch control.

The right wing was four inches longer than the left to compensate for the engine being heavier than and mounted to the right of the pilot. The wings were rigged with a slight droop to reduce the effects of crosswinds.
Gift of the Estate of Orville Wright
http://airandspace.si.edu/wrightbrothers/


 
Today, I can be as ecstatic as they were as I board the plane that will take me and my colleagues to Legazpi City in Albay for a three-day conference. It's my first time at the airport as well, so it's only now that I get to see the surroundings in person. Well, first time is often the best.




But, uh oh. We're too early for our flight. As of this writing, it's only eight minutes past 3 am. We actually arrived here at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 at 2 am. Our departure from Dagupan City in Pangasinan was at 10 the other night, so our total travel time was four hours! Boy that was fast!




This may take a long while before we finally board our flight, but my first time on a plane is worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment