Friday, February 22, 2013

In the cabin

The take off

“Cabin crew, prepare for departure.” Then the plane zoomed up to the clear blue sky.

I was Wright (pun intended). The feeling was as euphoric as that of the inventors of the airplane when finally, I was flying up in the sky, over white fluffy clouds. Waiting for four hours for the check in counters to open, and then another hour for the boarding gate to let the passengers in, was all worth it.




Yes, it was my first time on a plane, so I savoured every bit and inch of the ride. Among the nine of us, only three had previously experienced it, but they were as excited as the rest of us because of the majestic Mayon Volcano awaiting our arrival.


At a little past 6 am, we checked in and sat on the pre-departure area where we took a nap since we didn’t get enough sleep during our “long” trip to the airport. But I couldn’t completely succumb to unconsciousness, for I was ecstatic about my first plane ride. Seeing the airplane right outside the window made the feeling even more intense.







So, when the airport personnel finally announced that the passengers could board the plane, I stood and picked my bags in one fluid motion.

I was so enthusiastic that I wanted to literally push the person right in front of me when the personnel were tearing off their copy of the boarding pass of a passenger after another. I even asked our photojournalist to take our picture along the ramp.




Every step towards the plane represented the beat of my overwhelmed heart. Then, as I stepped into the plane, I exclaimed to myself, “This is it!”

I looked for my seat assignment situated in the middle portion, a few inches from the right wing. I threw my baggage onto the overhead compartment and settled down on my seat, fastening the seat belt around my waist. A few more minutes and the big bird would take off.

It was gradual. At first, the plane traversed the runway at a slow pace, perhaps it was some sort of a warm up for the plane’s engines. Then, its speed suddenly increased and up it went to the sky, zooming out the scenery below which looked like a scale model from above.




Though I lacked sleep, I still didn’t give in to the temptation even if my eyes were already heavy. I didn’t want to miss any part of the flight. Staring out the window, I thought, “Before, I was just looking above at the clouds. Now, I’m flying over them!”

The turbulence was low, almost zero, so it wasn’t terrifying. But there were moments I felt dizzy when the plane did descending and ascending motions. It felt like I was chasing after my brain.

The touchdown 

At 8:40 am, ten minutes ahead of the estimated time of arrival, the speakers cracked to life again and carried the voice of the pilot telling the cabin crew to prepare for arrival at the Legazpi Domestic Airport.

The descent was also gradual. Little by little, the view below was getting bigger which meant we were decreasing in altitude. The speed became noticeable as the view came nearer. Then, I felt the plane’s wheels touch the solid surface of the runway.

What came next caught me in awe and wonder as the breath taking view of the majestic Mayon Volcano appeared through the window. I thought to myself, “How wonderful! This is no longer a post card I’m staring at!”









Photo credits to Jennifer Velasco, Gail Mejia and myself.

COMING UP: What went in Albay

No comments:

Post a Comment